After Noah's doctor appointment, we went to the grocery store.  I had parked forward-facing to a curbed, sloped sidewalk.  On the side of the walk opposite the parking lot was a railing.  Because of the curb, I did not push the cart to the trunk of my car as I usually do.  I turned it perpendicular to the sidewalk and rested it against the railing.


From there, I took the groceries out and carried them to the trunk.  As I put the last load in, I saw the cart, with my two precious children in it, rolling down the hill!  Noah was sitting in the kid seat, Jonathan was sitting in the basket.  Jonathan had pushed the cart away from the railing, and was laughing with glee as they careened down the sidewalk.


I ran to them in that slow motion, dream-like state.  They veered left and the front left wheel ran off the curb, tipping the cart.  Thank God for His provision, there was an SUV parked there.  The cart fell sideways into it and stopped.  Noah's momentum kept him going and his head smacked into the hood.  He immediately started crying, but Jonathan was still laughing. (He thought it was such a fun ride, including the crash.)


I picked Noah up and held him close, apologizing, and scolding Jonathan at the same time.  Noah calmed down and we took the cart back to the store.  Jonathan was still clueless about the trouble and I was getting angry.  We buckled in the car and I tried to explain again why pushing the cart away was not a good idea.  After a couple of minutes of silence, Jonathan said in a sad tone, "I didn't mean to hurt my brother."


It was only after we arrived home that I noticed  the blood around Noah's ear.  It was already dry and no more was coming out, but it did seem like one of those cases when it's a good idea to call the doctor.  Ahh! We had just been there!  I left a message on the nurses' voicemail.  I got a return call in a few minutes and after talking about the situation, she said she'd tell Dr. Anderson.


Then I went outside to play with the boys and did not hear his call.  He called Jon's cell phone, but I hadn't even told Jon about it yet.  Jon called my mom, and she was  IMing with Janet.  So the prayer forces were unleashed.  I came in and got the message, but the office was closed,  so I called Dr.Anderson's cell phone.  He was still in the office, and he wanted us to come back so he could look into Noah's ear.


So we drove back to the office, Dr.Anderson took us in the back way, and checked out the ear.  It looked perfectly clear!  Praise God!  We were both relieved.  He said just keep an eye out on Noah's behavior, make sure he's acting like himself.  He has been, so we can thank God for a healthy boy and potential disaster averted.

Posted by Heather Daley on March 27, 2007, 8:39 am | Read 3472 times
Category Jonathan: [first] [previous] [next] [newest] Noah: [first] [previous] [next] [newest]

That settles it. Bumper cars for Jonathan next time you go to an amusement park. :)

Posted by SursumCorda on March 27, 2007, 11:11 am

Now that we're rejoicing in the happy ending, I can take time to be amazed at the communication that occurred here. You called Dr. Anderson from your land line; he called Jon on his cell phone; Jon called me in Florida on our VOIP phone; while still on that call I sent the news to Janet in Switzerland via Instant Messaging. A little later, Jon got through to you by phone, and e-mailed the story to Florida and Switzerland and New Hampshire. And that's just the earthly communication that was going on!

Posted by SursumCorda on March 27, 2007, 11:47 am

Wow! Praise God for how the ride panned out. Wish we had a similar story to share . . . well not really.

Posted by Tom & Theresa Grosh on March 28, 2007, 7:33 am

Wow! I am glad everyone is fine.

Posted by David July on March 28, 2007, 10:56 pm

Grace abounds!

Posted by MichaelQ on March 29, 2007, 4:22 pm
Add Comment
Add comment
E-mail me when comments occur on this article